Friday, August 27, 2010

Movin' Out


A LOT has happened since I last blogged. My Grandmother came up to visit from South Carolina for a week... and forced me to get back into the world. She wanted to shop all the time! Normally I would be up for a good shopping trip and all, but I just didn't feel ready yet. I went regardless and it was that visit that kick started me into getting into doing things on my own. After Grandma left, Dad went to Chicago and I was kidnapped by my boyfriend. Nate met me in Concord and took me to Peterborough so I could spend a weekend with his family. The Frechette's are AMAZING! I don't know how else to put it. I felt at home within the first three seconds of walking in the door. They are just so nice and so kind.....well I could go on and on about how much fun I had. After the weekend was up, Nate helped me get the new car to the shop for some minor work and then he returned home. It's funny but ever since he left I've missed him more. I'm going to see him Sunday when I move back to school, but for some reason I have this empty hurting ache inside of me that won't go away. Every time I try and make it go away it only gets worse. *Sigh* I really miss him.

But the reason why I haven't blogged is because I have been packing as fast as a one armed madwoman can to go back to college. . . which means I started two weeks ago and finished tonight haha. I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to return. I always felt I would, but I never thought I would be entering this prepared. For the past two weeks, I have been allowed to actually shower on my own. YAY! For the past week, I have been showering without a sling. And for the past three weeks, I have been working on mastering what was originally thought to be the most amount of mobility I would have. I still cannot write, drive, do heavy lifting, run, hike, or climb into or onto things. Some days I even have issues opening the door. So how am I supposed to survive college, you ask?

I contacted Disability Services for Students at UNH a few weeks ago and sent them my paperwork. Two weeks later I was told that I was approved for a note taker and extended exam times :) Yes! On move in, my neighbor and close friends will be helping me get settled into my dorm room. Classes will start monday (Ahh!) and Friday is my first physical therapy appointment. It's right outside of downtown Durham and I can't wait to start. So far I can flex in to about 90 degrees, and I can expand out 50 degrees. With the physical therapy, I will hopefully flex around or more than 100 degrees and maybe I'll expand out to 30 degrees. I'm also looking at another doctor visit late September, which Nate has offered to drive me to (he is the sweetest!) and sometime in October or November it's looking like I am going to have another surgery. This surgery will be to remove some pins that were inserted during my last surgery and to adjust an overhanging bracket. The surgeon gets excited whenever he talks about my arm. I think he is just as pleased as I am with the turnout. I still have to live in the brace for another couple of months, but that is only to protect the hardware until I am 100% again.


Needless to say, I am pleased with how everything is going and excited to return as a full time student at UNH! Hopefully, next time I blog, it will be about how well everything is going :) Go Wildcats!

No comments:

Post a Comment